As I sit here thinking about what to do with myself now that my beautiful wife is pregnant I daydream. Instead of formulating a plan to demolish and redo our kitchen and bathroom I daydream. I think about the little things that someday will have a permanent place in my sketchy memory bank. I daydream about when I’ll see my baby’s first steps (god let me be there). I also think about what it’s going to be like to hear the word “dada” for the first. Heck I smile and some strange moisture develops near my eyes at the thought of seeing the look on my child’s face when he/she (we’ll find out the sex in mid to late January) enters this big scary world. The excitement and anticipation of these and many other events are one of the great parts of this whole process.
I think about the first time I’ll have to say “don’t touch that” or “don’t say that, it’s a bad word and I don’t care if mommy says it.” I wonder what the sex of the baby is going to be even though I know it’s already been determined weeks ago. I wonder if the baby is going to be tall like me or not tall like Kate. All of this has created an even more aloof me. When I get in my car sometimes I’ll drive for 15 minutes before realizing I never turned the radio on. Something I would have never done 2 months ago. I’m just completely spaced out daydreaming about what the future holds. Hopefully sometime soon I’ll start to snap out of it and start to refocus on the many tasks at hand.