
Tuesday, January 03, 2006
A New Baby & the First Thoughts of 2006!!!
I want to start this post by congratulating Eddie and Kristen Ferrari on the birth of their first child yesterday. They welcomed baby girl Cameron Yvonne Ferrari into the world at approximately 3:32pm yesterday. Little Cammy weighed in at 7 lbs and 12 ounces and 20 ½ inches long. I had the honor of being at the hospital during her birth. I even walked past the room during the actual pushing portion of the birth. Yikes! She was so damn cute though and she has a full head of black hair. This only furthered my excitement for the arrival of Baby Big Head. I also want to take this opportunity to wish everyone a happy and healthy 2006. On to the thoughts:
- Sitting in the waiting room yesterday gave me a glimpse of what I could expect on our big day. It was almost like taking swings while standing in the on deck circle.
- We were able to see Kristen right when we got there. I gave her a kiss and said “you look good” and than I leaked out “given the circumstances”. I hope she forgot this immediately. We were in the room for not even a minute before the nurse came in and kicked us out because it was time to push. Exciting stuff!
- I was worried yesterday about what Kristen might tell Kate after the birth. I knew Kate was going to ask what it was like. So we get in there and Kristen looks at Kate and says “It was awful! It was worse that I thought”. She went on to say that she wanted to quit several times during the process. And whenever she was told she was doing well she thought “they’re just saying that”. I don’t think this will scare my Kate though.
- Only 22 days before we find out what sex Baby Big Head is!!!
- I just found out that the guy who sits near me at work also became a father for the first time yesterday. I’ve mentioned him before and he has been really excited and impatient recently too. I’m really happy for him. I wish I could call him to congratulate him. He and his wife had a baby boy.
- Eddie cried yesterday when Cammy was born and told me afterwards that I would be crying too. So last night I took a few minutes to test myself on whether I would cry or not. I shut my eyes and created the potential scene. I pictured Kate lying in the bed fully pregnant with me holding a leg while she pushed. Nurses were assisting the doctor while I also encouraged and helped with the breathing. And than during the final push the baby entered the world and the doctor held the baby up for all to see (I pictured a boy in this scene). And despite a strange burning sensation above my nose I was fine. So there I have it. I probably won’t cry when the baby is born.
- This next comment may seam like me planting the seed for future damage control but it’s not. I think I’m becoming more and more excited about the possibility that it’s going to be a girl. I’ve spent so much time dreading the idea and praying for a boy that I never really thought about the joys of having a baby girl. I wish I could have bottled up the excitement yesterday coming off of Eddie as we stood there outside of the nursery when they were running tests on Cammy. He was glowing standing there looking at his little girl.
- After hearing Kristen’s sister (who looked strong and was in the deliver room helping Eddie) say how tiring it was holding a leg and helping during the long process of giving birth I think we might need help in the room. Options were discussed and I think we’re going to need a strong able bodied male in there with Kate and me. Kate is much stronger than she looks. I’ll be taking applications for the next month if anyone is interested. The requirements are: minimum 5 foot 10, 180 lbs, and can bench press at least 225 lbs (only once). If you only meet two of these requirements you are still encouraged to apply.
- Kate and I have agreed to both take off the day of the baby’s next appointment to celebrate whatever the sex may be. We’ll call our parents and let them know and we’ll post something on the main blog. After that we’re going to go out to lunch and buy some little gender specific things as a way of celebrating. I’m thinking maybe a little baseball glove or a “daddy’s little girl” shirt.
Big Poppa, 10:41 AM
A friend of my wife went a few weeks ago to find out the sex and they couldn't tell. When my sister in law went they told her they were about 70% sure it was a girl. You're planting seeds for future damage control that it might be a girl, so you might want to plant the seed that you might not know for sure that day. You never know what could happen.
I've thought of this and I've decided I'm going to tell who ever performs the ultrasound not to tell us what the sex is unless they are at least 95% sure. We did originally tinker with the idea of waiting until the big day to find out so I wouldn't be devastated if they couldn't make a determination.