Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Time Starting to Pick-up

It’s already been two weeks since we found out we’re having a baby girl. Hard to believe isn’t it. That got me to thinking. Maybe the baby will be here before I know it. And I think it’s no coincidence that time has sped up for me ever since I started the kitchen project. Most of the past two weeks have been spent on work, sleeping, and re-modeling the kitchen. I really think I need to stay busy all the way up until the baby is born because the time will pass much faster. So after the kitchen is done I am painting the outside stucco of the house, redoing the spare room to make it into a nursery, and digging up my front walkway and raising it up to the first step coming into my house. That should keep me busy until at least late April. Anyway here are some of the recent thoughts running through the mind of an excited father-to-be:
  • I may never say it but I am extremely thankful my wife never had morning sickness and as of today has had no changes in her personality since she became pregnant. I heard from some people that the woman changes for the worse during the pregnancy. Almost like they feel it is their right to torture their spouses because they are uncomfortable, nauseous, and their feet hurt. Basically, thanks Kate! Keep up the good work.
  • Being without a kitchen hasn’t been the huge inconvenience I thought it would be. Kate has no problems preparing lunches. And for dinner we either have plans at a family members or one of us isn’t around so the other must fend for them selves. Basically Kate really hasn’t given me a hard time about it yet. Knock on wood.
  • I recently received a book of advice for a father on raising a daughter. I read it here and there but most of it seems like common sense. Like “Never fight with her mother in front of her” or “Always tell her how pretty she is” or “Spend one on one time with her so she knows how important she is to you”. I feel like calling the author and saying, “hey, no shit genius! What did it take you an hour to write this book?” Maybe I can use it as a checklist for when our lives become more hectic.
  • The great name debate has really died down. And I‘ve found I would be fine with it staying this all the way up until the baby is born. It’s made for a more tranquil marriage.
  • I made a decision (without Kate’s input) a few weeks back that if we can’t get our little dog Bella better trained and under control by the time the baby is born we’re giving her up. We’ll find a home that will better suit her needy and bratty personality. Maybe Kate’s parents would be interested. People have asked us what we’re going to do with our Great Dane when the baby is born but he is the least of our canine concerns. I’m far more comfortable with how the 135lb mammoth beast is going to be with the baby than the 12lb energetic, unruly jitterbug.
  • Kate looks really cute in maternity clothes. Is it gross that a pregnant woman gets me excited? I’ve always said the most beautiful woman is a pregnant woman.

1 Comments:

You ARE crazy to think Kate would get rid of Bella. But Kate, you do look so adorable in your maternity clothes!

Add a comment